Winter is just around the corner – a little fall preparation for your Deck Boards Ready for Winter will help protect them from whatever winter blows our way! Whether it’s for your home backyard deck, or your Muskoka docks in cottage country, winter affects all of our structures. TIVADEK PVC deck boards are made of strong, stable and durable PVC with patented core technology. While our TIVADEK and TIVADOK products are made to maximize enjoyment and minimize maintenance, a little preparation will help keep them looking and performing their best.
Unless you want to be rushing about in the cold, now is the time to winterize your deck and prepare your backyard space. So let’s get started!
Prepare your backyard space
- Fill your bird-feeders with suet to help our flying friends store much-needed fat over the winter.,
- Heat or aerate your pond to allow fish to breathe once the temperature drops to below freezing.
- Cut back any large perennials that are done growing for the season.
- Rake your leaves and mow your lawn one last time!
Next, you’ll need to winterize the deck itself! Take the following precautions as soon as it looks like the temperatures will drop in your area.
Tidy up the Top of your TivaDek PVC deck boards
Clean up anything from atop the PVC deck boards that may not survive a harsh winter.
- Delicate pillows and throw blankets: if these fabrics stay outside during the winter months, they’ll get moist and may grow mold.
- Tropical and young plants will appreciate being brought indoors to enjoy the sun from the view outside the window.
- Pottery and décor can split and crack under harsh changes in temperature. Unfortunately, this is almost guaranteed with the coming of the winter weather, and I know I myself have lost some flower pots this way.
Tools you Need to Prepare Deck Boards Ready for Winter
Now that you have cleared off your PVC deck boards in preparation for the cold and snow, it is time to gather any other tools that you will require for the upcoming winter maintenance. For best results, shovel your deck after a snowfall, and then spread out some salt!
- Sturdy plastic or plastic-edged shovel
Avoid a shovel with a metal edge, as this can damage your gorgeous TivaDek PVC deck boards or composite dock decking. I prefer to keep one wide shovel, and one narrow shovel. The wide shovel is ideal for wide open spaces, while a narrow one is perfect for getting into corners and finishing up the work.
- Fine Salt (sodium chloride) – avoid rock salt or coloured ice-melter
Salt your PVC deck boards with a fine salt. The back of the package’s ingredient list should specify that it is sodium chloride. Avoid blue or other colours of ice melters, since these can leave unsightly stains on a PVC and composite deck. You will also want to avoid anything labeled as Rock Salt or any salt with rocks, sand, or gravel mixed in. Large chunks of rock salt and other material may scratch your PVC deck boards when walked on top of.
For more information on caring for your TivaDek PVC decking, check out the Resources area of our website.
Winterizing your TivaDoc PVC Dock Decking
All of this applies to your dock as well, whether it’s made of composite dock decking or PVC dock decking. However, for a floating or submerged dock, rather than salting it, you will want to bring it out of the water, store it, and cover it for the winter.
Take Care of your Furry Friends!
Last but not least, let’s not forget about our furry friends! Dog boots may seem like a silly idea, but for dogs with less fur to protect their paw pads, boots can be a welcome protective barrier that protects skin from burning salt on snow and ice. It can also protect your TIVADOG against frost-bite!
An outdoor deck will always run the risk of being exposed to the elements. For a strong deck that will last the test of time, choose TIVADEK from TIVA Building Products. While it can be difficult to choose the style of decking that’s right for you, TIVA Building Products is always striving to make that choice a little simpler by offering the best deck material to pick from.
If you are looking for the best PVC decking, with new innovations around every corner, TIVADEK is proud to consistently offer premium decking solutions. As one of the top PVC decking brands, we aim to continue providing the most fabulous deck materials Canada has to offer, and can’t wait to be a part of your next big project or DIY.